Welcome! Follow us

Image Alt

10 English slang terms you need to know in 2020

Home   /   Community Voices   /   Language Learning Tips   /  

Home Community Voices Language Learning Tips

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Vera lucia P 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Community Manager

With a new year comes a whole host of novel, oft-perplexing slang terms. Just as quickly as they fly in, they seem to disappear, banished to the depths of “cringeworthy” terms that ought not

0    0  
    Vera lucia P

Teens and members of Gen Z are now using a slew of new slang terms, many of which are confusing to older generations. Whether you’re a millennial, Gen Xer, or baby boomer trying to stay up to date —

0    0  
    Carla S

Big Yikes: “Big Yikes” is a more intense version of the word “yikes.” It refers to something that is so very embarrassing that another, much larger “yikes” is needed.

Example:
    “I thought I was posting

0    0  
    Portuguese Language Manager

Go Off:
    It can be used to encourage a choice or to support a rant or ridiculous behavior that’s already occurred, usually meant humorously. Often, the phrase “I guess” follows it.

“You sat there for

0    0  
    Vera lucia P

SLAY:

To “slay” is to do really well or succeed at something. The term first emerged during the 1970s and ’80s in the midst of black drag and ballroom culture.
    “How do I look?” “Girl, you slay.”

SHOOK:

0    0  

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

User Registration

Reset Password